What is Vedic Astrology?
Vedic Astrology is commonly called Jyotish or Jyotisha from Sanskrit word jyotiṣa, jyótis means light and Ish mean God hence Jyotiṣa means Light of God or Light of Life. Jyotiṣa is associated with the planet Sun or Surya which is giver of light. Since, the Sun is representative of Jyotiṣa a Jyotiṣa is supposed to spread light like the Sun and focus on truth, the role of Jyotiṣa is very important and a Jyotiṣa has to be very careful of what he tells since he is looked upon by society in general with a lot of respect. Jyotiṣa and its branches will be taught in details while teaching Brihat Parashar Hora Shastra (BPHS) later this year and interested students may write to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Learn” for further details.
Jyotiṣa has three branches:
- Siddhanta: This deals with Astronomy.
- Samhita: This is commonly called Mundane Astrology, this deal with predicting important events related to countries such as war, earthquakes, political events, financial positions, Elcectional Astrology, house and construction related matters (Vastu Shastra), animals, portents, omens or nimitta Shastra and so on.
- Hora: This is what we will study in detail going forward, this is commonly called Predictive Astrogy and most of my future articles shall target learning Hora Shastra in detail.
Jyotiṣa is one of the Vedanga (limb (anga) of Veda), the six auxiliary disciplines used to support Vedic rituals. The 6 vedāṅgas are
- Sikṣā – This relates to phonetics, phonology and Sandhis.
- Kalpa – This deals with Vedic rituals
- Vyākaraṇa – This deals with grammar.
- Nirukta – This deal with etymology and is the study of thehistory of words, their origins, and how their form and meaning.
- Chandas: This deals with meter, separate article will be available on this in the Articles Section.
- Jyotiṣa: This is called as Veda Chakshu (Eyes of Veda) and is very important anga of Veda and used to study auspiciousness of time, birth among many others.
Traditionally, vyākaraṇa and nirukta are common to all four Vedas (Rig Veda / Yajur Veda / Sama Veda and Attharva Veda), while each Veda has its own śikṣā, chandas, kalpa and jyotiṣa texts.
Kaartik Gor is a renowned Astrologer/Business Consultant based in UAE, For further info/consultations email email@example.com or whatsapp +97155 5532511